Sunday, August 5

The 4Ps of Prayer—The Lord Teaches us How to Pray

While I was scrolling down my News Feed I came across a question posted by a pastor. The question goes like this, “why people don't pray even though mostly believe in prayer?”. Arguably that’s a good question, and the answer maybe similar to reasons why we don’t exercise, eat healthy and get enough sleep (I for one is guilty with this) even if we know it’s good for us. “No time, too lazy, boring and some may say it’s hard to pray. Some of the top reasons why people don’t pray even though we are convinced by its powers.” another pastor explains.



I stop for a while, ponder a bit and tried answering the question. No time—prayer can be done anywhere/anytime. Too lazy/bored—change your mindset and start with short prayers and progress with continuous practice. After addressing 2 excuses I now go to the third. When I was new a Christian and perhaps some of you raised this inquiry as well, “How Should I pray?”. Just recently a love one asked this question to me, now it’s my turn sharing something I learned these past years with my prayer life and I figured it would be a good idea sharing it here. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying or pretending that I’m an expert on this matter but it’s really the grace of God working in my life that prayer becomes light and not burdensome. Similar to a person who loves someone I enjoy conversing with that person and it’s like that for me with God.

Some of you guys might have heard the abbreviation ACTSAdoration, Confession, Thanks Giving and Supplication. This time I would like to used 4Ps, not my original just something I learned too from folks blessing me with good wisdom. Plus remembering a letter is easier for me than a word. Jesus was the ultimate teacher and showed us how prayer is a means to communicate with the Father and in any relationship, communication is vital. In Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV), Jesus showed in the Lord’s Prayer to his disciples how to pray. 

9 This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one
.’ 


When I pray the 4P is my framework. Praise, Provision, Pardon and Protection.

Praise
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Jesus started out the prayer acknowledging the Father. That He is sovereign and in control of all. the Earth, the heavens, the universe and all the things we cannot fathom with our feeble minds. With Praising we give what is due to God’s holiness. That when we pray, it’s with faith that Him being the creator of all, nothing is too hard. 

Provision
11 “Give us today our daily bread.
That the grace of God is new everyday and it doesn't run out. When we seek our needs and desires of our hearts we are in a state of being assured that He heeds every request. If there is anything faster than light it’s prayer. Before we even utter it He already knows what we are asking for. With our humbled and faithful spirit, ask and it shall be given unto you.

Pardon
12 “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Prayer should also bring us in the act of conviction and asking for forgiveness from our sins. And that we also release ourselves with the burden that we keep from the people who hurt, disappointed and had short comings towards us. For if a Holy God has forgave us what more us to give pardon.

Protection
13 “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one
Finally, in prayer we ask for the covering of God. of course not only for ourselves but also for family, friends, acquaintances and the rest. He is our divine and ultimate shield. A comforting light to brave treading in the shadow of death. Constantly has His watchful eye on us, alone or with people. That’s why if being in a compromising or difficult situation the perfect thing to do. Pray.

Prayer is not something that we automatically know. Just like in school we study proper ways of communications. As we do it regularly and study what God tells us in the Bible, prayer becomes natural or even to others seconds nature. It’s just like conversing with a very best friend, if I may barrow what our pastor said, “It’s not a drag. it’s a delight”.

Thank you for reading. Please do share this post.
Photo credit to Sheng Rosario, you can check out her inspiring photos in Flckr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis